2.18.2011

Dust City by Robert Paul Weston - Awesome!

DUST CITY
by Robert Paul Weston
Available Now!


Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?
His son, that's who.
Ever since his father's arrest for the murder of Little Red Riding Hood, teen wolf Henry Whelp has kept a low profile in a Home for Wayward Wolves . . . until a murder at the Home leads Henry to believe his father may have been framed.

Now, with the help of his kleptomaniac roommate, Jack, and a daring she-wolf named Fiona, Henry will have to venture deep into the heart of Dust City; a rundown, gritty metropolis where fairydust is craved by everyone and controlled by a dangerous mob of Water Nixies and their crime boss leader, Skinner.

Can Henry solve the mystery of his family's sinister past? Or, like his father before him, is he destined for life as a big bad wolf?


REVIEW
I was so impressed with Henry Welp, he's a complex character who's sensitive, tough, smart, & determined, and very much haunted by the crimes of his father and what it means about the savageness of his baser nature. I wanted to roll around on his fur and  live in his universe. It's an amazing and richly complex new world that's grisly, gritty, and unflinchingly-Grimmly-violent


Keeping in the spirit of the more sinister side of the Brothers Grimm, Dust City is gritty and hard-boiled as it is fantastical. When I began to read and it was as if I'd suddenly fallen down the rabbit hole, the next thing I knew the sun was coming up and I felt as if I'd only just blinked! It's a fast and fascinating ride full of characters that are so full and colorful you either love them, fear them, or you really really want them to get what's coming to them.


Even though I feel that this story is complete, there is a lot of life and mystery to be explored in the Dust City Universe. I'd love to be allowed to take a new peek into this enthralling world. Yet the author has said he has zero plans on a sequel. But let me tell you this  Mr. Weston, I haven't had enough of Henry, Fiona, Roy, Detective White (she's a real doozy!) and Jack, hell even Siohban and her super cute grandma would be entertaining!


This is a magical world, but there's no wand waving making everything perfect. I respect the maturity and seriousness infused into a book based on a fairytale world. The funny and sweet moments of the story endeared these characters into my heart.


What a wonderful and awesomely talented author. Please read this book, read the prologue and if you are able to put it down I will be shocked.