11.08.2012

Warm Bodies- Coming Feb 1, 2013 Trailer!

Why did I wait so long to read this novel? Falling in love with monsters is what I've been doing for far too long, although falling for the zombie that just ATE your boyfriend would test any young girls heart.






WARM BODIES

by Isaac Marion
ISBN-13: 978-1439192320
Available Now
Publisher: Atria
Pages: 256
Edition: Paperback
Amazon, B&N, Goodreads
---------------------------------

R is a young man with an existential crisis--he is a zombie. He shuffles through an America destroyed by war, social collapse, and the mindless hunger of his undead comrades, but he craves something more than blood and brains. He can speak just a few grunted syllables, but his inner life is deep, full of wonder and longing. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams.

After experiencing a teenage boy's memories while consuming his brain, R makes an unexpected choice that begins a tense, awkward, and stragely sweet relationship with the victim's human girlfriend. Julie is a blast of color in the otherwise dreary and gray landscape that surrounds R. His decision to protect her will transform not only R, but his fellow Dead, and perhaps their whole lifeless world.

Scary, funny, and surprisingly poignant, Warm Bodies is about being alive, being dead, and the blurry line in between.


Like I said above, I have no idea how this fell through the cracks of my to-read-bookshelf. If this book was anymore catered to me I would be titled: PERLA.READ. THIS.BOOK! I just added it to my Kindle so I do not have to wait a moment longer to upload this story into my brain. 

Zombies may be "What's Hot" right now, but I appreciate that there are real aficionados out there taking care of the genre, and not letting the side show make this monster sparkle. And while there is a precedent of zombie on human love. One in particular is among my favorites, Lia Habel and her futuristic cyber-punk, post-apocalyptic-esq trilogy starting with Dearly, Beloved and recently published, Dearly, Departed. I interviewed her after having read Dearly, Beloved:


IBT: How difficult was it making a zombie- a dashing one too- into a romantic hero?
LH: I think my editors were worried people wouldn't buy into the idea, at certain points!  But it wasn't that hard for me - I've always loved monsters as heroes, the weirder the better. I knew I had to do away with the really gross things, like issues of rot and smell, but other than that I had all this great material to twist in my own direction. Most of all, I love getting into how the way zombies work influences the way they think and act. I think Bram's attractiveness lies in how he acts, the choices he makes. In my head, the whole thing makes total sense - I'm just really glad I was able to convey it to readers.