12.12.2012

Oblivion


"Do you like big-budget, high-concept science fiction movies starring Tom Cruise? Did you like Tron: Legacy? If you answered yes to both of those questions, you're going to be very excited to see the first trailer for Oblivion. If you answered yes to only one, you'll probably be at least somewhat excited. If you said no to both, well, tough luck, because Oblivion is directed by Legacy's Joseph Kosinski and it stars Tom Cruise.
Here's the official setup: On a spectacular future Earth that has evolved beyond recognition, one man’s confrontation with the past will lead him on a journey of redemption and discovery as he battles to save mankind.
What the trailer shows us, however, is a little different. It involves aliens and robots and some kind of underground resistance led by Morgan Freeman. It's filled with eye-catching visuals, which is always a bonus for a trailer, but if there's any one thing that stands out here it's, despite showing a lot, it surprisingly doesn't feel like it's giving away the entire story. Let's just hope Universal can keep that level of mystery going between now and April 12, 2013."--from Movies.com



 

Ok, I DON'T watch contemporary Tom Cruise movies anymore. There is no appeal. I can't get passed the print and gossip version of him and lose myself in his acting. That aside, I am actually really looking forward to this movie. I LOVE sci-fi, I loved Prometheus, I loved Tron, and not everyone did. That's fine with me, I don't let my impression of a movie I have enjoyed be colored by popular opinion. So you'd think I would be able to judge Tom Cruise without bias, and maybe if I let myself watch his recent flicks I would enjoy them. Oh well, I'm not perfect. but I'm willing to try with Oblivion.