4.30.2013

Incredible Fantasy Maps


1. THE WIZARDING WORLD OF HARRY POTTER
Depicting Hogwarts and the grounds, but it does not include Hogsmead and the Shrieking Shack (a grievous error). I wish I was Harry Potter, this has be be the world I wished I lived in for the pure fantasy of it all instead of who I would find within it.
( I tried finding a good picture of the Marauders Map  especially one that was interactive, but I was unsatisfied with my sear results.)


2. Map of RAVKA
The world of Leigh Bardugo's Grisha series. One of my three penultimate YA fantasy series. Ravka is so fantasic and mysterious. Cannot wait for SIEGE & STORM and THE TOO-CLEVER FOX. 


3. Map of ERILEA
This is the world of the THRONE OF GLASS series by Sarah J. Maas. Covering rich and diverse landscapes, The Deserted Land and The Endovier Salt Mines are highlights for me. (Part of me imagines what adventures could have happened if worlds had collided and Celeana had run into Naji and Annana from, THE ASSASSIN'S CURSE, out there in the desert! Guess that is was fantiction is for.)


4. THE TERRITORY OF IXIA
This map depicts the magic and adventure choked world of  Maria V. Snyder's Study and Glass series. Personally, I felt that my favorite adventures happened in Ixia rather than Sitia. Maybe because it was so severe and forbidding, and Valek was such a huge character instead of popping in seldomly as he does in Sitia. All I know is that whenever the next three Study books come out, I WILL be first in line.


5. THE ASSASSIN'S CURSE
While the map of Cassandra Rose Clarke's Assassin's Curse world is extremely basic, it does help to grasp that this is a world unto it's own. It's geography does not match our own and we can make Naji, Annana and co. what we will of them. I would love someone like Keith Thompson- who created all the artwork for the Leviathan series- to put his considerable imagination and talent into creating a map for this world.Cannot wait for the next duology in this world, since this one was perfection


6. WONDERNATION
This is Frank Beddor's crazy awesome, rich, and mind-bending Wonderland. Highlights for me includes Mount Isolation, The Pool of Tears, and Wonderopolis. 
(And while I love that Hatter Madigan has the graphic novels to have his awesome adventures in, I wish they were in print. I hate having to look at someone else's idea of what Hatter looks like. Hate it. But I did donate to the kickstarter campaign!)


7. LEVIATHAN
One of the most detailed worlds out there, Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan series is one of my favorites. Clankers vs. Darwinists. I listened to the audio books (as I did with Harry Potter) and I fell with Alan Cumming's performance. He and Jim Dale are my two favorite audio book narrators.


7.5 THE LEVIATHAN SHIP
In which we get to see the guts, nuts, and bolts that make the incredible H.M.S. Leviathan. Gross and cool at the same time. I can imagine Deryn swinging around on this thing.


8. FICTION ISLAND
This is a world within the BookWorld within the Nextian world of Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next series. Mind bending- to say the least- Fforde gives us layers upon layers of rich mythology. While I didn't love book 6, ONE OF OUR THIURSDAYS IS MISSING, I can't wait for THE WOMAN WHO DIED A LOT.


9. THE SEVEN KIGNGDOMS
The amazing world of Kristin Cashore's Graceling series. Awesome, awesome, awesome. If you put these series: Graceling, Grisha, Throne of Glass, Study, and Fire and Thorns into a cage match I have no idea which one would win. No idea. BUT, if you threw in Katsa (Graceling) vs. Celeana (Throne of Glass)
Yelena (Study) vs. Naji (Assassin's Curse)
Annana (Assassin's Curse) vs. Alina (Grisha)
Elena (Fire and Thornes) vs. Bitterblue (Graceling)
Those would be some awesome battles!

BITTERBLUE'S CASTLE
This castle seemed to overwhelm Bitterblue for much of the book, it's responsibilities, Leck's monstrous history, and growing up under constant danger and scrutiny.

10. THE DELLS
Outside the Seven Kingdoms lies the Dells. Created by the awesome mind of Kristin Cashore and a complete unknown to the denizens of the Seven Kingdoms. Mysterious, filled with beautiful monsters and Fire. Fire is one of my favorite and most underrated heroines. Loved the confrontation between Fire and a young Leck (although that was not his name at the time). The monsters are so incredible, and the fact that she is one of them is even more so. Loved it!


12. A MAP OF MELUSINE
This is the world of The Doctrine of the Labyrinth's created by Sarah Monette. Wizards, intrigue, treachery, sex, and dark magic. Felix and Mildmay are unforgettable and fascinating antiheroes. 


13. PANEM
Being one of many incarnations and adaptations of Panem, the most popular dystopia maybe ever. When the movies are all said and done, I wonder which will the the best? My favorite book was THE HUNGER GAMES, and not so much CATCHING FIRE and MOCKINGJAY. Only time will tell.


14. GODSPEED
Godspeed, the oppressive spaceship from the Across the Universe series by Beth Revis. Feeling claustrophobic and frightening, this was the ship where generations of people lived and died trying to reach Centauri-Earth. Creepy. 

Inspired by the i09 post about Fantasy Maps that included The Land of Oz, Middle Earth, George R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire universe and soo many more, I wanted to compile a list of fantasy maps from the worlds I had visited. Missing is the map of The Fire and Thorns series by Rae Carson because there is no map- as of yet. If I had my way it would be illustrated by Keith Thompson who did all the illustrations for the Leviathan series, and The Map of Ravka.